SASMA is committed to protect your privacy and to ensure that your personal information is used responsibly and securely in a transparent manner and this policy demonstrates SASMA’s commitment to:
- Respect the Member’s right to privacy as encompassed in section 14 of the Constitution of the Republic of South Africa, No. 108 of 1996; and
- Comply with the provisions of the Protection of Personal Information Act, No. 4 of 2003 (hereinafter “the POPI Act”), and
- Comply with the provisions of the Electronic Communications and Transactions Act, 2002.
This Policy sets out how SASMA deals with personal information, for which purposes information is collected and what it is used for. This Policy is made available on SASMA’s website www.sasma.org.za and at our office upon request.
Scope – to whom does this Policy apply?
This Policy will automatically apply to potential, current and former members of SASMA, SASMA Executive and Board, the individual Portfolio and Regional committee members, SASMA Personnel and authorised SASMA agents.
Policy and / or last amendment effective date
This policy and / or amendment will come into automatic effect on June 1, 2015.
SASMA shall be entitled to review this policy and to amend it from time to time by publishing all amendments on the official SASMA website(s) and placing notification thereof in email newsletters or other appropriate notification channels available to currently registered SASMA members and allowing them to submit their objections.
Inquiries and Objections regarding this policy
We encourage you to review this policy to familiarize yourself with the contents. If you don’t want to accept the policy or any changes or, in the event of you either having queries or disagreements with our policy, please send to the SASMA webmaster using this email: [email protected]. We undertake to resolve privacy issues with due diligence.
Privacy and Acceptable Use of Information Policy (including Email Address and SPAM Policy)
When does SASMA collect and process personal information?
- When you consent that we may process the information. We obtain such consent when you apply for membership, when you visit our facilities, or when you take part in our activities;
- When we require personal information to assess whether you are eligible to take part in our activities, or a specific activity, and at what level;
- When we have to process personal information to comply with an obligation imposed by law;
- When it is necessary for SASMA to pursue its legitimate interests or that of a third party to whom information is supplied, in order to provide you with appropriate services;
- Where both ourselves and our associates or affiliates need certain personal information from you to perform our functions, make decisions when required and to inform you of our activities
How does SASMA use your personal information?
SASMA will only use personal information for the purpose for which it was collected. This may include the following:
- To provide our services to our members and visitors and to perform the normal activities of SASMA;
- To confirm, verify and update a member’s details;
- To keep proper records and logs of your activity history;
- To establish if you are eligible to take part in our activities;
- To conduct market research or establish your satisfaction;
- For audit and account record keeping purposes;
- To carry out the activities and services you sign up for and to maintain and constantly improve our relationship with all members;
- To communicate telephonically with you;
- To send you postal notifications, e-mail, newsletters and other relevant industry information and documentation as part of and directly related to your SASMA Membership
- To communicate with you in respect of all regulatory matters that may affect the profession of sports medicine in South Africa;
- In connection with legal proceedings (including HPCSA and CPD requirements);
- In connection with, and to comply with, legal and regulatory requirements or when it is otherwise allowed by law.
- SASMA shall keep all personal information of the Member confidential in the event that the Member expressly requires SASMA to keep such information confidential;
- SASMA shall not use the Member’s personal information for any unlawful purpose. We may release your information when we believe the release is appropriate to comply with the law, enforce our site policies or to protect our or other’s rights, property or safety.
- The data collected during Membership registration and / or information otherwise requested by SASMA, is used only by SASMA personnel, authorised SASMA agents and SASMA Regional and Portfolio committees to conduct the normal day-to-day business of SASMA. These personnel, agents and committees undertake to never distribute or provide such data to any third party in any format whatsoever and are responsible for ensuring the safekeeping and protection of all such data, both physical and digital at all times.
- SASMA shall only publish personal information (as defined in section 1 of the POPI Act) of the Member on its official web site with the express written (or electronic) permission of the Member. The purpose of publishing personal information of the Member on SASMA’s official web site is purely for the purpose of referring third parties to contact the Member in the event that such third parties require the professional assistance of the Member. (This published information does not include the display of the email address – see Email Address and SPAM policy section below);
- SASMA will never sell, give, or otherwise disclose or distribute any part of any member’s personal or contact information, including but not limited to email address, postal address, telephone number(s), practice details, registration numbers, etc., to ANY other third party without first informing you of their intent to do so and allowing you to submit your objections, if any. This does not include trusted third parties who assist us in operating our website, conducting our business or servicing you so long as those parties agree to keep this information confidential and secure. See Email Address and SPAM policy section.
- SASMA reserves the right to provide anonymous (unidentifiable) personal information to academic institutions or to any government institution solely for the purposes of research.
- From time to time SASMA negotiates with medical schemes for the purposes of its members becoming preferred providers – to the benefit of the SASMA members. This is done for the purpose of referring third parties to contact the Member in the event that such third parties require the professional assistance of the Member. SASMA will provide such parties with the minimal personal information required by the third party to perform said task and no other. Such provision of information should clearly be for the beneficial interest or advantage of the Member. The information will not include a Member’s Email Address – Refer to the Email Address and SPAM policy section.
- Third party links on SASMA Websites or in Newsletters and other communications: Occasionally, at our discretion, we may include or offer or allow to be advertised, third party products or services on our website, events calendar and in communications. These third party sites have separate and independent privacy policies. We therefore have no responsibility or liability for the content and activities of these linked sites or any personal information that you provide to them. Nonetheless, we seek to protect the integrity of our sites and welcome any feedback about these sites.
- The POPI Act requires us to adequately protect the personal information we hold and to avoid unauthorised access and use of your personal information. We will continuously review our security controls and processes to ensure that your personal information is secure.
- SASMA endeavours at all times to keep Member information confidential, secured and protected in accordance with the Electronic Communications and Transactions Act, 2002. If we need to transfer your personal information to another country for processing or storage (e.g. cloud computing systems / storage e.g. online Dropboxes, etc.) we will ensure that any such methodology used or party to whom we pass on your personal information will treat your information with the same level of protection as required from us.
Your Email Address and SPAM policy
- A Member’s e-mail information will only be used by SASMA personnel, agents or committees to communicate with the member for all matters directly relating to the business of SASMA and / or the promotion of the profession of sports medicine in South Africa.
- All e-mail communications to a SASMA member will be sent directly from an authorised SASMA email address only. Any other communications and or emails received by a member from any other third party purporting to represent SASMA should immediately be reported to SASMA.
- E-mail communications from SASMA might contain third party advertising and promotions that have been approved as appropriate for the practice of sports medicine in South Africa, or such other third party information being of use or interest to a SASMA member.
- A member’s E-mail address will never be provided to any third-party unless SASMA:
- obtains specific prior written or digital consent from the Member for each individual instance as per POPI Act, and
- the third party provides SASMA with a written undertaking to:(a) specify the exact purpose and use for which the information will be used – and in addition to such undertaking –
(b) include a written commitment to refrain from using the email address for the marketing of any products and services not directly related to the purpose for which the email address was originally provided and intended in (a) contained herein.
However, notwithstanding anything to the contrary contained herein, the Member acknowledges that SASMA cannot guarantee that third parties or other SASMA members shall use the Member’s personal information (including that published on the web site) other than for the purpose of making use of the Member’s professional assistance. Therefore, the Member shall not hold SASMA liable for any damages as a result of the unauthorised use of the Member’s personal information. Please report such abuse immediately to SASMA for further investigation and action.
Your consent to this policy
By continuing to use any of the SASMA Websites, or communicating with SASMA or using any of the benefits of a registered SASMA member, you:
- are agreeing to the policy conditions outlined on this page, and unless you lodge a formal written request or written complaint of your objections or wishes directly to SASMA, your implicit consent to the content and conditions of this policy is assumed and will be applied.
- further agree to have the same privacy obligations that SASMA has with respect to the use of personal information of other members of SASMA.
- will not disclose your unique username and password (provided to you by SASMA) to any third party, including any other regular member of SASMA. You must keep your unique username and password a secret and you indemnify SASMA against any losses and or damages which the you may suffer as a result of the intentional or unintentional disclosure of your username and password to such third party;
- agree that it is your responsibility to ensure that you familiarize yourself with all information, notifications, services and procedures provided on the website by SASMA and its agents, including any third party services of which you make use e.g. Malpractice Indemnity requirements and or related industry or regulatory information that is provided from time to time.
- agree that SASMA will make use of your primary email address to send you communications, notifications and provide documentation and other regulatory procedures or guidelines or instructions. It is your responsibility to read and act upon all such notifications and instructions. In addition, SASMA will also publish all such notifications and instructions on the SASMA website for further reference. SASMA cannot be held liable for any consequences arising from any unread notifications sent to your primary email address or published on the website.
You further agree that in your capacity as a SASMA Member or individual Portfolio or Regional Committee member or SASMA agent, you shall not:
- Collect, harvest or engage in any other activity to obtain e-mail addresses, phone numbers, personal information or any other information about other SASMA members.
- Prepare, compile, use, download or otherwise copy any SASMA member directory or other member or member usage information or any portion thereof, or transmit, provide or otherwise distribute (whether or not for a fee) such directory or information to any third party.
- Engage in any chain letters, contests, junk e-mail, pyramid schemes, spamming, surveys or any other duplicative or unsolicited messages (commercial or otherwise).
- Violate the rights of SASMA or any third party (including rights of privacy and publicity) or abuse, defame, harass, stalk or threaten another.
- Use any SASMA or SASMA domain name as a pseudonymous return e-mail address.
- Market any goods or services for any business purpose to SASMA Members (including advertising and making offers to buy or sell goods or services), unless specifically allowed and authorised to do so by SASMA. Written authorization must be provided by SASMA.
- Use or attempt to gain access to or use another’s user or company account, password, data, or computer systems or networks connected to any SASMA server, whether through hacking, password mining or any other means.
- Access or attempt to access any material that you are not authorized to access.
- Make available any files containing materials where you do not own or control, or have not received the necessary permissions to, all intellectual property rights, rights of privacy and publicity and all other rights in and to such materials.
- Use any materials in any manner that infringes any intellectual property rights or other rights of any party.
- Disrupt or interfere with the security of, or otherwise cause harm to, the SASMA service, SASMA materials, systems resources, accounts, passwords, servers or networks connected to or accessible through SASMA or any affiliated or linked sites.
- Transmit unsolicited or bulk communications to any SASMA account holder or to any sasma.org.za or affiliated e-mail address.
- Post or otherwise submit to SASMA or its members and agents, any software, programs or files that are harmful or disruptive of another’s equipment, software or other property, including any corrupted files, time bombs, Trojan horses, viruses and worms.
- Create a false identity for the purpose of misleading others.
- Download any materials posted by another that you know, or reasonably should know, cannot be legally reproduced, distributed, performed or displayed in such manner.
- Disrupt, interfere or inhibit any other user from using and enjoying the SASMA service or other affiliated or linked sites, materials or services.
- Access or use SASMA in any manner that could damage, disable, overburden or impair any SASMA server or the network(s) connected to any SASMA server.
- Post or otherwise submit any topic, name, material or information that is child pornography, defamatory, excessively violent, harassing, inappropriate, indecent, lascivious, lewd, obscene, profane, racist, unlawful, or otherwise objectionable.
Queries and objections to the Policy
In the event of you either having queries or disagreements with our policy, please contact the SASMA Webmaster using this E-Mail: [email protected] We undertake to resolve privacy issues with due diligence.