|The Discovery Vitality Summit is fast becoming one of the most anticipated events on the health calendar. With less than three months to go, spaces are filling up fast!
Taking place from 15-17 August at the Sandton Convention Centre, the event, which incorporates the Discovery Vitality Wellness and Fitness Convention, will bring together some of the most exciting and innovative minds in the industry. Having secured world-class speakers such as Dr Brian Wansink and Tyler Hamilton, we will also be joined by Tim Plewman, formerly of Defending the Caveman and author of ‘Fitness for Old Farts’, as well as Derek Yach, who will chair a debate on the science of nutrition and advertising aimed at children.
This year’s health and wellness tracks have topics for every interest in the industry. Health professionals can look forward to the following:
- The Sports and Exercise Medicine track this year will offer insights into how the health care professional and fitness professional can get involved and use the ‘Exercise is Medicine’ network and structure.
- The Nutrition track includes topical issues around the change in kids’ eating patterns, and sustainable eating. A topical debate on the issue of combating obesity and the industry’s role in this fight will open up some interesting points of discussion.
- The Biokineticists track includes the latest practical and relevant clinical information around rehabilitation and athletic training, and also addresses the importance of physical activity promotion for health.
- The Sports Coaching and High Performance track is aimed at coaches of all levels, recognising that from the very first introduction to the sport to the top step of the podium, coaching expertise is the foundation of success.
- The Corporate Wellness track will provide a forum for engaging discussions among practitioners, scientists, clinicians and business managers on the most effective health promotion strategies in corporate wellness
- The Kids Wellness track will give parents, coaches and teachers practical application of best practice ideas to get kids off the couch and playing outside again in order to combat the behaviours which are putting our youth at risk of diseases of lifestyle.
- The Personal Training track will be packed with both practical and theory based sessions. This track will offer industry insight and information to all personal fitness trainers.
- Group Exercise track will again focus on practical group based exercises. Delegates will be able to attend the Group Training track taking place on the 17th August separate from the convention. It will include over 20 practical sessions from local and international speakers covering the latest trends in aerobics, spinning, mind/body and other group based exercise classes. Sessions are limited so book early.
|The summit will be host to the following exciting speakers, tracks and other entertainment:
- Adrian Gore, CEO of Discovery Limited: ‘Making a healthier nation’ and Discovery Vitality’s role.
- Dr Brian Wansink, professor in consumer behaviour and nutritional science: ‘Mindless eating and mindless solutions’ – Why people get fat and the impact of advertising.
- Tyler Hamilton, former American professional road bicycle racer: ‘What is the true price of winning at all costs?’ and ‘The power of truth’.
- Dr Tim Noakes, professor of exercise and sports science: Follow on from Tyler Hamilton’s discussion and sports development.
- Tim Plewman, actor and author of ‘Fitness for Old Farts’.
- Dr Derek Yach, PepsiCo’s Senior Vice-President of Global Health and Agriculture Policy before joining The Vitality Group in the US.
- Dr Ross Tucker, Senior Lecturer with the University of Cape Town’s Exercise Science and Sports Medicine Department.
- Debates on drug use, doping in sport and other interesting happenings in the industry.
- Wellness and fitness expo showcasing the latest in technology and wellness.
- Group activities by Vitality partners, including aerobics, spinning and the latest in group fitness classes for attendees to join in and get active.