SASMA’s objective is the promotion of sport science and sport medicine to benefit the South African community through:
- Arranging local, regional and national meetings of medical professionals, allied health professionals, scientists and educators.
- Implementing educational programs for members, as well as coaches, athletes and the general public.
- Publication of a journal, educational material and a communicating website.
- To develop informed position and public statements in areas of concern to SASMA members and the general public.
- To protect the interests of its members, nurture sub-groups and special interest groups and to encourage research in the fields of expertise of these groups.
Any person with a bachelors, honours, masters or doctoral degree at an accredited institution in a field related to health, physical education, biology or exercise science can become a full voting member. Students in the above-named fields and members of sports of allied bodies can become student or associate members. These members enjoy the benefits of full membership, with the exception of voting rights.
- Full member: R800 per year
- Associate member: R800 per year
- Student member: R580 per year
Some of the benefits in becoming a member of this association include the following:
- Membership of FIMS and access to the International Sportsmed Journal
- Discounts to biennial SASMA and Clinical Sports Medicine congresses (this alone covers membership fees)
- 4 editions of the South African Journal of Sports Medicine
- Eligibility for R10 000 in prizes for SAJSM articles
- 25% discount on subscription to the British Journal of Sports medicine
- Weekly Sportsmed Update (5 abstracts from international sports medicine journals)
- Fortnightly SASMA Journal Club articles.
- Regional update meetings
- Discounts on several retail services, including:
- magazines in the Touchline stable: Golf Digest, Kickoff, Men’s Health, Runner’s World, SA Sports Illustrated, SHAPE & Bicycling, with 25% discounts with full subscription
- Avis car rental preferential customer deals (free upgrades, specials etc)
- Frequent Guest Membership with Southern Sun
FOR FURTHER DETAILS CONTACT Arina Otto 083 644 9980 or email@example.com